Winner of Best New Festival at the UK Festival Awards 2016
- Multi-Venue: Baltic Triangle, Liverpool (Constellations, Hangar 34 and District)
- Date: Friday 9th June – Saturday 10th June 2017
- Tickets: Friday, Saturday and Weekend tickets available from Skiddle.
- Children under 12 go FREE (Applies to Saturday only. Max of 2 x child tickets per parent/guardian ticket).
Liverpool’s award-winning celebration of reggae music and Jamaican heritage, Positive Vibration, returns in June for a jam-packed weekend of cultural appreciation and positivity.
Fronted by the iconic, Pauline Black, The Selecter were one of the key bands of the U.K ska revival of the late ’70s and early ‘80s (along with Madness and The Specials), often tackling sexism along with racism and other social ills.
The legendary operator & producer, who has been at the forefront of the UK reggae/dub scene since the mid-1970’s, will be bringing his full sound system for a 5 hour session.
Full Line Up
Friday: Jah Shaka (full sound system, 5 hour session), Aba Shanti-I, Reggae Roast, Earl Gateshead, MC Brother Culture, Saxon Sound System, Vibronics, I-mitri CounterAction, Sir Coxsone Outernational Sound System, DJ Andy Smith, plus more.
Saturday: The Selecter, The Scientist, Channel One Sound System, Don Letts, Prince Fatty, Horseman, Soul Jazz Records Sound System, Trojan Records Official Club Night w/ Pama International, Dubmatix, Charlie P, Ras Kwame, New Town Kings, The Hempolics, Backbeat Soundsystem, Western Promise, Mount Nakara, Golty Farabeau, plus more.
The Art of Reggae Exhibition
This year sees the return of The Art of Reggae Exhibition – a successful collaboration between Positive Vibration and the International Reggae Poster Contest. The exhibition, which supports the Alpha Boys School in Jamaica, will showcase 100 reggae-inspired posters, designed by illustrators & artists from all over the world. You’ll also be able to bid on the posters.
The exhibition will take place at Constellations from 7th June – 9th July 2017, with the launch taking place on the 7th June. Entry to the launch is free, but please confirm your attendance by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Reggae Q&A
There will be a panel discussion taking place on the Saturday of the festival which explores the impact of reggae on British music, culture & society.
This year’s panel includes:
- Pauline Black – iconic frontwoman of 2 Tone band, The Selecter. Actress, broadcaster and author of music bestseller, ‘Black by Design’
- Mykaell Riley – former member of Steel Pulse and founder of the Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra. Head of Music Production at the University of Westminster and Director for the Black Music Research Unit.
- Dennis Bovell – legendary reggae guitarist, bass player and producer. Founding member of Matumbi and pioneer of Lovers Rock.
- John Robb – award-winning music journalist and punk musician, John will be asking the questions.
On the Saturday of the festival, there will be a number of creative, educational and dance workshops for the children, including:
- Dub Poetry with Levi Tafari.
- Arts & Crafts with Square Pegs.
- The Rastaquarium.
- Capoeira with Capoeira For All.
Apply to Trade
If you’d like to trade at Liverpool’s award-winning reggae festival, please email email@example.com
All suitable goods & services will be considered.
Sponsors and Partners
- Arts Council England
- Trojan Records
- Jamaican High Commission
- Africa Oye
- International Reggae Poster Contest
- Alpha Boys School
- Liverpool International Music Festival
- Liverpool City of Music